This installable package is built on a Windows Server 2012 virtual machine. This document assumes that you have already created the VM on Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows server 2012 Hyper-V host environment and installed the pre-requisites. This document may refer to this machine as “the base VM” or “DEMO2013a.”
As a best practice, we recommend installing each Content Pack on a “clean” base, in other words a new installation of Windows server 2012 along with the pore-requisites listed below. The Self Service BI Content Pack includes the following standard versions of the databases:
The databases and Models listed above may be used within additional content packs not yet created.
Pre-Requisites & Installation Instructions
The Self-Service BI Demo Content Pack has the following pre-requisites to be installed in the order listed below:
1. Windows Server 2012 Guest VM with the Active Directory DS Role for the Contoso.com Domain and the Active Directory Content Pack Demo 2.0 Installed.
2. Install SQL 2012 SP1 you can download the evaluation from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh225126.aspx and use the SQL 2012 SP1 Content Pack Demo 2.0 to install and configure SQL 2012 SP1 with AS PowerPivot, Multidimensional, and Tabular Models. Along with RS in SharePoint Integrated Mode.
3. Install SharePoint 2013, Download the 180 day SharePoint Evaluation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh973397.aspx . Download AutoSPInstallerInput.xml file from this site, and AutoSPInstaller from http://sharepointdemobuilds.codeplex.com. Use the configuration file downloaded from this site then Right-Click on AutoSPInstallerLaunch.bat and run as an Administrator
4. Register and Start the Reporting Services SharePoint Service and create the Service Application
5. Configure PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013
6. Install People Pack Demo 2.0 Content Pack
Right-Click on ContentPackInstaller choose run as Administrator > browse to the folder where you extracted Self-ServiceBIDemo2.0.zip, then Click Add a Content Pack, once completed, Click on Self-Service BI Demo from the Menu, and Click Install.
04/05/2013 Resolved an issue where the compressed file was not formatted properly and was causing the installation to fail
04/05/2013 Resolved an issue of using Multiple Downloads, now there is a single download for the Content Pack
04/10/2013 Resolved an issue restoring the AdventureWorksDW2012 Model to the correct AS Instance
04/21/2013 Resolved issue where two IIS WebSites were not being created on ports 81 and 8081
06/09/2013 Resolved issue where intermittent issue with URL
06/16/2013 Added Images to the PowerView Reports, and resolved issue with additional websites added by the script